We may think of toxic pollution as smog, polluted rivers or landfills. However, the worst toxins are found in ordinary objects we use in everyday life.
Forty two billion pounds of chemicals are manufactured or brought into the United States each day. That’s enough to fill 623,000 tanker trucks in a line that could straddle the globe three times. These toxic chemicals gradually seep into our bodies and can interfere with cellular function, even leading to cell death. Our brains are particularly vulnerable.
Even unborn children are bombarded by these toxic chemicals. In 2004, the environmental working group did a study of umbilical cord blood in 10 fetuses in the United States. They tested for 413 toxins, found 287 & there were 200 chemicals per fetus.
Researchers have also found 168 toxic ingredients in 12 personal care products used daily by women & 85 toxic ingredients in 6 personal care products regularly used by men. Europe has banned more than 1000 chemicals for use in cosmetics but only 8 of these have been banned in the United States.
Research shows that by the time the average American reaches adulthood, their body is polluted with approximately 700 synthetic chemicals plus heavy metals such as mercury, lead, and arsenic. I am regularly surprised by the high mercury & lead levels I find in my patients. Be sure to see my previous newsletter on Mercury Toxicity. There are many known adverse effects of mercury as listed in my newsletter. Now a new study has reported that higher levels of mercury exposure in young adults increased their risk for Type 2 diabetes by 65% in later life.
Actually we all are. But some suffer more than others.
So, if you’re tired all the time, suffer from joint pain and inflammation, or are plagued by memory and brain fog, toxicity could be the reason. Dr. Sherry Rogers wrote a revealing book titled “Tired or Toxic? A Blueprint for Health”
And these aren't the only toxins that may be lurking in your body.
A comprehensive survey by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control found 148 different chemicals in the blood and urine samples of 2,400 Americans. More than a quarter of all the samples contained benzo(a)pyrene, a toxin found in automobile exhaust fumes. Nine out of ten samples contained a mixture of toxic pesticides.
National Geographic Magazine paid nearly $15,000 to test one of their reporters for the presence of 320 different chemicals as part of an undercover investigation into environmental toxins. They discovered that the reporter’s level of one flame retardant chemical was so high it would have been considered alarming, even if the reporter had worked in a plant that manufactured the chemical!
A Mount Sinai School of Medicine study found a total of 167 different chemicals in the blood and urine samples of volunteers. They had an average of 91 toxins each. They found lead, dioxins, PCBs, phthalates, as well as compounds that have been banned for more than a quarter century. Bottom line: every single person in every study was contaminated.
The body is designed to eliminate chemicals and heavy metals. Our liver, kidneys, skin & lymph system work to remove the toxins but cannot keep up. When the body is unable to break down and eliminate the overload of toxins, it stores them in the liver & in fat cells.
These toxins are eventually released from fat cells & travel through the blood to invade the brain, lungs, heart, eyes, stomach, liver and sexual organs. At this point damage can occur to organ systems.
The many problems that may be attributed to environmental toxins & heavy metals include:
- Multiple chemical sensitivity
- Increased allergies, asthma, eczema
- Autoimmune reactions
- Immune deficiency
- Joint and tissue pain, inflammation & arthritis.
- Chemical imbalances in the brain
- Memory loss, migraines, and premature brain aging.
- Blood pressure problems.
- Thyroid problems
- Hormone imbalances such as, estrogen dominance, reduced libido and sexual dysfunction.
- Alterations of critical systemic enzymes
- Blood sugar problems.
- Vision problems.
- Gastrointestinal dysfunction such as, indigestion, nausea, or vomiting.
- Contributing to many chronic degenerative disease
- Infertility, stillbirths & miscarriages
- Certain cancers
- Neurological disorders
- Metabolism disorders
- Sleep disturbances
- Chronic fatigue
- Hearing loss
For more on the health consequences of environmental toxins see: "The Human Burden of Environmental Toxins and Their Common Health Effects" by Walter J. Crinnion, ND
Not only do low levels of chemicals build up in your body over time, but these chemicals can also react with each other in dangerous ways.
You may already know about the dangers of toxins & are doing everything you can to avoid them: such as eating organic food, drinking filtered water and plenty of it, using natural products in your home, using no pesticides on your property, avoiding cigarette smoke, reading labels to avoid food additives, etc. If you cannot easily buy organic food, you can use a homeopathic chemical neutralizer called Ex.Chem . But what you may not know is that even if you take all these precautions, your body can still be contaminated.
HOW DO YOU DETOX?
Avoid toxic exposure when you can. A good daily multi vitamin mineral , extra vitamin C , & a multi amino acid supplement support the natural detoxification pathways in your body. When there are high heavy metals Alpha Lipoic Acid is very important for helping to keep the metals from depositing in the brain.
Scroll down to the bottom of this link to see a list of things you can do in your everyday life to minimize toxic exposure.
Apart from avoidance, periodically it’s important to do a general detox by one or another method, and there are many methods.
For periodic detoxing, I like the combination of Chlorella, & Modified Citrus Pectin . Those with more serious toxicity might also use Ultra Clear Plus which supports the detoxification pathways of the liver.
- Beneficial immunostimulatory effect of short-term Chlorella supplementation: enhancement of Natural Killer cell activity and early inflammatory response (Randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial)
- Dietary Chlorella pyrenoidosa for patients with malignant glioma: Effects on immunocompetence, quality of life, and survival
- Nutritional Supplementation with Chlorella pyrenoidosa for patients with fibromyalgia syndrome
- Nutritional supplementation with Chlorella pyrenoidosa for mild to moderate hypertension
- Chlorella Supplementation May Decrease Dioxin Levels and Increase IgA Levels in Breast Milk
- Chlorella Vulgaris Supplementation in Patients with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Chlorella Supplementation exerts Antioxidant Effects and Dietary
- Chlorella May Benefit Pregnant Women
Although chlorella is known first and foremost as a powerful detoxifying tool, it does much more.
- Boosting the Immune system by increasing interferon and white blood cell response
- Aiding the prevention of degenerative diseases
- Relieving arthritis pain
- Aiding weight loss
- Assisting in Candida albicans treatment
- Increasing “good” bacteria in the intestine
- Aiding in the prevention of stress-related ulcers
- Reducing radiation treatment side effects
- Protecting the body against toxic metals such as lead and mercury
- Helping with hormone balance (relieving PMS, regulating cycles, etc.)
- Reducing or eliminating body odors
- Helping to balance blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar
- Helping your heart utilize magnesium - Magnesium is essential for proper heart function.
- Stimulating the body to produce more red blood cells thus helping to prevent anemia.
- Improving the digestive system by helping to eliminate bad breath, foul smelling stools & constipation.
- Helping to balance the pH levels in the body. Our body's pH level is ideally between 7.2 and 7.4. This is considered neutral. Often this drops to an acidic level as we eat junk food or processed foods. This allows diseases to start and grow & contributes to many symptoms.. For more information see my newsletter “ARE YOU TOO ACID? BODY BALANCE OF ALKALINE & ACID IS ESSENTIAL TO GOOD HEALTH”
- Chlorella: The Key to Health, Vitality and Longevity by Mark Drucker
- Chlorella, The Ultimate Green Food: Nature's Richest Source of Chlorophyll, DNA and RNA by Beth M. Ley
- Chlorella: The Emerald Food by Dhyana Bewicke & Ph.D. Beverly A. Potter
- Confessions of a Body Builder, Rejuvenating the body with Spirulina, Chlorella, Raw Foods & Ionized Water by Bob McCauley
MODIFIED CITRUS PECTIN (MCP)
Pectin is a carbohydrate made of hundreds of thousands of chemically linked sugar molecules. It isa type of dietary fiber found in most plants and is particularly plentiful in the peels of apples, citrus fruits, and plums. In modified citrus pectin, the pectin has been chemically altered to break its molecules into smaller pieces allowing better absorption in the GI tract. Pectin in its natural form is poorly absorbed by the body and is considered a type of insoluble dietary fiber, whereas modified citrus pectin can be absorbed into the gut and bloodstream.
MCP provides powerful nutritional support for the immune system by naturally binding & clearing immune depressing chemicals from the body.
A recent study indicates MCP promotes healthy urinary excretion of common, mild environmental exposures of heavy metals such as mercury, arsenic, cadmium, lead, and tin.
In another recent study conducted by USDA scientists subjects were given modified citrus pectin for six days. The scientists measured the amount of toxins excreted in the participants’ urine before taking the modified citrus pectin and 24 hours after taking the citrus pectin.
- The amount of deadly arsenic excreted in participants’ urine increased by 130%...
- The amount of toxic mercury excreted increased by 150%...
- The amount of cadmium excreted increased by 230%...
- And the amount of toxic lead excreted in participants’ urine increased by an amazing 560%
It is so safe it has been tested on children as young as 5 years old who suffer from lead poisoning. Every child tested had a dramatic increase in the excretion of lead in their urine — over 130% on average.
Because it does NOT deplete the essential minerals your body needs, modified citrus pectin is safer than many other forms of detox therapy. So while it eliminates pesticides and toxic metals such as lead, cadmium and mercury, it doesn't deplete your body of zinc, calcium or magnesium, as do many chelating substances. In fact, there was no change in the level of these vital minerals in patients during the study. However, pectin has an inhibitory effect on manganese uptake, so do not take it with food or mineral supplements. Take it on an empty stomach.
The many benefits of MCP include:
- Proven Galectin-3 Blocker (Galectins are widely distributed in the body & implicated in cancer, chronic inflammation, autoimmune disease, allergic reactions, etc) Blocking excessive galectin-3 in the body is a critical component in the fight against cardiovascular disease, inflammation, fibrosis and other illnesses.
- Slows the growth and spread of cancerous cells throughout the body. In rat studies, diets with 10% pectin reduced colon cancer risk by 50% & reduced cholesterol by 25%.
- Activates powerful immune function
- Supports cardiovascular health
- Decreases inflammation and fibrosis
- Safely chelates heavy metals and toxins
- Increases energy
- Improves memory and focus
- Improves joint pain and stiffness
- Improves sleep
- Helps maintain healthy blood pressure and cholesterol
- Improves digestion and elimination
For more information see:
- “Modified Citrus Pectin (MCP): A Super Nutraceutical” by Nan Kathryn Fuchs, Ph.D.
- Pectin Offers Dual Effect Against Cancer and Lipid
Ultra Clear Plus Detox Program
Ultra Clear Plus Detox Program is designed to provide the specific ingredients which assist the liver in its never-ending task of breaking down & removing environmental toxins which have been taken into the body as well as the toxic breakdown products formed by our own body processes.
Ultra Clear Plus provides research-based nutritional support for liver function, which may be beneficial during times of increased toxin exposure. It's enhanced with specific nutrients--including rice protein and antioxidants that support energy metabolism and detoxification function. Rice protein has a lower allergenic potential than many common animal or vegetable protein sources, which (along with careful formulation and manufacturing) helps make this product suitable for dietary elimination programs. This product is recommended for use with a modified elimination diet that reduces dietary chemical exposure.
HOW TO DETOX
You can do an intense detox periodically or long slow continuous detox. Intense would be 1 week every 2-3 months during which time you stop all food and use 2 scoops of Ultra Clear Plus in water 3-5 time daily, as well as plenty of water, PectaClear 3 upon arising and 3 at bedtime, and Chlorella 10 chewed well in the morning and afternoon. For continuous detoxing, use 1 scoop of Ultra Clear Plus daily, take 1 Pectasol upon a arising and bedtime, and chew 3 Chlorella twice daily.
Until next time,